Is your property ready for the cold weather ahead?
Before the cold weather sets in, make sure your home is winter-ready. Be sure to check these important tasks off your list.
- Clear leaves and debris from your eavestroughs to avoid clogging
- Winterize landscaping and remove leaves your lawn, as this can lead to rotting in the spring
- Drain and shut off all outdoor water supplies, including garden hoses, sprinkler systems and outdoor taps
- Seal your doors and windows with caulking or weather stripping to limit the amount of cold air that comes and hot air that can escape
- Clean and cover your air conditioning unit to protect it from snow and ice. This will help to increase the lifespan of your unit
- Clean and inspect your furnace, gas fireplace and dryer vents to avoid fires when the heat is turned on in the winter. And, don’t forget to replace old filters
- Cover your outdoor equipment and patio furniture to protect it from the elements
- If you have a working fireplace, clean and inspect your chimney before the first use of the season
- Seal cracks in your driveway to prevent water from seeping in, freezing and expanding
- Test your snowblower and other winter equipment in advance
- Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and test them to ensure they are working properly
- Check your fire extinguishers and replace them if they’ve expired